Saturday, July 28, 2012

Micah's Birth Story

Micah's Birth Story........

Our crazy journey started with a 39 week ultrasound on Tuesday, July 10th.  My belly was measuring big so my OB wanted me to get an ultrasound to see how big my baby BOY really was.  If he was over 9 lbs they were going to induce me because they didn't want to give him another week to grow even bigger, because I really wanted to deliver him vaginally. So we go to this appointment SUPER excited to see our little man because the last time we got an ultra was at 19 weeks when we found out he was a BOY.  It was awesome to see how big he had gotten since our last visit. His head looked soooo big and I was SO worried about pushing him out. The technician starts to measure all of his body parts in order to get an accurate weight and we hear her say "SHE", we both immediately say "huh? sorry we are having a boy" and she said " well here's the labia so I'm not so sure it's a boy."  I immediately felt tears streaming down my face and from then on my WORLD completely changed in so many ways. I had the room all ready, I had 2 baby showers where we received all boy clothes and accessories.  OMG.....what the hell was I going to do with a girl? I cried for the rest of the day and then I got over it.  The next day I embraced the idea of having a girl and I decided to get a pedicure with some cute pink nail polish.  I am not a pink girl so that was HUGE for me. I've never been a girly girl but I just felt this overwhelming excitement to have a mother daughter relationship. 

Back to the ultrasound.... so we also found out I had about 2 liters of water inside my amniotic sac and my OB was worried that if my water broke that the cord might come flying out with it.  This is obviously really dangerous so I was scheduled for an induction on Wednesday July 11th.  Keep in mind we didn't tell anyone other than my sister Holly that Micah was going to be a GIRL.  We thought it was going to be an AMAZING surprise for our family and friends. Holly was going to be in the delivery room with us so we wanted to be able to freely talk about our little girl.  So Wednesday came and Bill and I both wanted to have a nice relaxing day before my induction. We went to my parent's house and layed out by the pool one last time then we went and bought Micah her first outfit.  Then we pigged out at Five Guys for the last supper.  

We didn't end up getting called into the hospital until 2 am (Thurs morning) because there were no beds available earlier.  They started me on cervidil within an hour and we both were so stoked to get the process started.  We still couldn't believe we were having a girl and a part of us DIDN'T believe it.  We kept saying "what if that technician was wrong and what if it's still a boy?"  I NO longer trust any ultrasound. So the inducing process went on all day and then by Thursday night they were going to attempt to insert the Foley Catheter( MY WORST NIGHTMARE).  Here are some pics from Thursday.....

They couldn't insert the foley because my Dr. couldn't get it back to my cervix.  All of the fluid in my uterus was weighing down on top of my cervix and it made it REALLY hard to reach it.  She tried for what seemed to be an eternity. I was screaming, crying and just trying to be a champ but it just hurt so bad.  After that experience I was not about to push a baby out because if labor is as painful as that then I want a C-section = Yes please!  But my Dr. insisted on trying the cervidil for another 10-12 hours to see if I would go into labor naturally. Friday morning came and I still wasn't even close to being dilated so they scheduled me for a 12pm c-section. THANK GOD!  At that point I hadn't eaten since Wednesday, I felt so gross and I had been hooked up to the IV and monitors nonstop.  When I got word that I was having a c-section my Dr. told me I could shower and relax with no IV or monitors. It was absolute HEAVEN. I was so excited for this damn c-section and I couldn't wait to meet my little angel.  If I hadn't gone through hell the day before I probably would have been SOOOO nervous about getting cut open but NOPE I couldn't wait! I was in such a good mood leading up the surgery......I was clean, my hair looked good, Bill was cracking jokes left and right and we were hours away from meeting our little ANGEL!!!!   Here we are....

My mom - Me- my sister, Holly

My hot Dr. j/k it's My Billy boy

I am ready to go....

Surgery was Awesome!!!!  I couldn't have had a better group of people working on me. It was a room full of all women and I just felt so comfortable with all of them.  We were joking and laughing the whole time especially when they cut me open and let all of the fluid out.  It came out like a fountain and they were all screaming and laughing about it.  They were shocked at how much was coming out.  I couldn't feel anything other than the sensation of the water splashing on my feet. So GROSS but so cool at the same time.  The spinal tap didn't hurt at all, it just felt like a normal pinch. The scariest part was waiting to get numb, I was so worried that they were going to start cutting and I would feel it.  So I made sure I told my Dr. how I was feeling and she took her time tapping me with sharp knives to see if I could feel it and OF COURSE I couldn't feel a thing. Another cool part was hearing them count the instruments over and over again to make sure they didn't leave any inside me.  They were a well oiled machine.  I was impressed the whole time. (Keep in mind I had never had any surgery or even broken a bone, so this was all new to me)

Here comes the best part..... right after all of the fluid came out they said I was going to feel a lot of pressure near my rib cage as they pushed the baby out. It was the best feeling to know I was about to hear my baby cry for the first time and before Bill and I could even look at each other we hear the most amazing sound on the planet, Micah's cry, followed by all of the women screaming "It' s a GIRL!!!! " We both just immediately started to tear up and Bill went right over to see how beautiful she was. I then hear him scream, "She's perfect Shush(my nickname)"  As he makes his way back to give me a kiss he by accident looks at my body and sees all of my organs on the table. GROSSSS! I had never even thought about the process of a c-section so when he told me that I for sure thought he was joking.  I found out he wasn't when he was really disgusted by it days later.  I still laugh about it.  I love when he tells people that part of the story.

 Here is our beautiful baby girl ......

Micah Dylan Turner, arrived at 1pm (1300 military time) on Friday July 13th. She was 6lbs 13 oz and 21 inches long.  I'm sure her favorite sports number will be 13 =)

We Heart Micah!

1 comment:

  1. That is such an amazing story!!! How do you remember all of those details! Crazy! Keep it coming! Thoughts and prayers <3